3/4 cup lentils, rinsed
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
2 medium onions
4 TB margarine
2 TB tomato paste
1 tsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
2/3 cup sour cream (optional)
1 – 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
● Add herbs to lentils, cover with water and simmer until cooked, about 35 minutes. Drain.
● Sauté onion in margarine until soft. Add lentils and all remaining ingredients, except sour cream and cheese.
● Simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
● Pour into a greased ovenproof dish.
● Cover with the sour cream and top with cheese.
● Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the cheese has melted.
● The sour cream can be served on the side if you prefer.
● This recipe freezes well, however wait to add sour cream and cheese until ready to reheat.
Source: The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook, Tormont Publications Inc., 1992