1 cup lentils, washed
8 cups stock (ham, chicken or beef)
1 bay leaf
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1 cup potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
19 oz can tomatoes, diced
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
salt to taste
● Sauté onions and celery until tender.
● Add remaining ingredients.
● Simmer for 35-45 minutes until lentils and vegetables are tender.
● Stock can be made from scratch by boiling ham, chicken or beef bones for about 1-2 hours on medium low heat. Drain only keeping the liquid, discard the rest.
● Alternately, stock can be made from ham, chicken or beef bouillon.
● Add cubed ham, chicken or beef.
● Serve topped with grated mozzarella cheese.