Makes 24 Crackers
1/4 cup flax
1/4 cup ground flax
1 – 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 tsp canola margarine
1/2 cup skim milk
● Preheat oven to 325F.
● In a bowl of a stand up mixer, add flax, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and margarine.
● With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a course meal.
● Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough (you can also mix the dough by hand).
● Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
● Divide dough into quarters. Place onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 1/16th inch (2 mm) thick. Cut into 2 – 1/2 inch (6 cm) squares.
● Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
● Onion Flavoured – add 1 TB of powdered onion soup mix.
● Cheese Flavoured – add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
● Italian Flavoured – add 1 TB oregano and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.